UP

Athens flood death toll rises to 22

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Athens flood death toll rises to 22

The death toll from flash flooding which hit Athens earlier this month has risen to 22, the fire department announced on Monday.

Axar.az reports citing AA that the remains of the latest victim were found in the early hours of Monday near a depot in the western Athenian municipality of Mandra.

Firefighters are currently trying to recover the body which is buried in mud. An identification procedure will follow in hospital.

Volunteers from around Greece have gathered in the areas hit by the deadly floods to help residents.

The floods were one of the worst disasters to have ever hit the areas of Nea Peramos, Megara and Mandra, turning roads into fast-flowing rivers of mud, trapping passengers in their vehicles and residents in their homes.

Questions were raised in parliament by Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras who blamed the disaster on construction and town planning of the past decades.

"It is an unprecedented disaster caused by an extremely extreme phenomenon," he said, adding that the floods revealed "in the most tragic way the criminal and inexcusable political choices of decades in construction and town planning”.

Date
2017.11.27 / 15:12
Author
Axar.az
See also

Hungary threatened to block EU sanctions on Russia

Moscow airports temporarily closed amid drone threat

Ukrainian army losses updated

Flights at Kaluga Airport have been restricted

Trump announces hospital ship for Greenland

We don’t want a new Cold War, says Brazil's Lula

Supreme Court blocks Trump’s global tariffs

Ukrainian drones strike Luhansk oil depot

Moscow continues to prioritize attacks over diplomacy

Venezuela passed law to free hundreds of political prisoners

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla