UP

Migrant crisis: Scores feared drowned off Libyan coast

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Migrant crisis: Scores feared drowned off Libyan coast

Ninety migrants are feared drowned after a boat capsized off the Libyan coast, says the UN's migration agency.

Axar.az reports citing BBC.

Three survivors said most of those who drowned were Pakistani nationals.

Libya has for years been a major transit route for migrants trying to reach southern Europe by sea.

But last year the EU reached a controversial deal to provide help to the Libyan coastguard to stop the flow of boats carrying migrants and refugees to Italy.

Aid agencies and the UN accused European governments of taking an inhuman approach.

EU governments complicit in migrant torture in Libya, says Amnesty

"Ten bodies are reported to have washed up on Libyan shores," the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a statement.

A spokesperson said Pakistanis were increasingly trying to make the perilous crossing to Italy.

Unusually, there were also Libyans among the dead and survivors, reports the BBC's North Africa correspondent Rana Jawad.

The Facebook page of the city's security directorate said a Libyan woman had drowned, but that, of the three survivors, two were Libyan nationals.

Libyans rarely attempt the dangerous and illegal boat journey from their country to southern Europe.

Some cases of illegal Libyan migration were documented last year, but they usually involved sturdier boats that were carrying few people.

Date
2018.02.02 / 15:10
Author
Axar.az
See also

One pilot killed in Iran military training plane crash

US-backed Gaza committee recruits police, 2,000 applicants

Russia urges 'all parties' in Middle East to show restraint

Fidan: Turkiye ready to send troops to Gaza

Bill Gates pulls out of India AI summit amid Epstein scrutiny

Sweden approves €1.2bn military aid package for Ukraine

Macron to visit Armenia on May 4 for political summit

Trump sets 10-day ultimatum on Iran nuclear deal

US Vice President thanks leaders of Azerbaijan and Armenia

Russia's Lavrov warns against any new US strike on Iran

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla