UP

Daesh claims Iraqi election candidate assassination

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Daesh claims Iraqi election candidate assassination

The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the assassination of an Iraqi parliamentary candidate at his home in the country’s northern province of Nineveh.

Axar.az reports citing Press TV.

Daesh, in a statement published on Telegram messaging application on Monday, announced that 45-year-old Faruq Zarzur al-Juburi, a contender from Vice President Ayad Allawi's National Alliance list, was shot dead in Qayyarah, situated 70 kilometers (43 miles) south of the provincial capital city of Mosul, at dawn because he was “an atheist.”

In a video posted on Facebook the day before he was gunned down, Juburi called on voters to be cautious of gregarious candidates “and those who buy votes.”

He promised “a strong government – one that will take care of poor, families of martyrs, reconstruction and citizens” in the video.

“In a few days, God willing, we will be celebrating victory,” Juburi said as he was carrying his six-year-old son Rayan in his arms.

Late last month, Daesh spokesman Abu Hassan al-Muhajir stated that members of the terror outfit would attack polling stations, voters and candidates during national Iraqi elections, which are set to take place on Saturday.

“We know that the government … is on the verge of what they call elections. Our judgment will apply to those who call for them and participate in them... The voting centers and those in them are targets for our swords, so stay away from them and do not walk nearby,” he said.

On Friday, Iraq's prominent Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani urged eligible voters in the Arab country not to cast their ballots in favor of "corrupt" lawmakers during next week's national elections.

Grand Ayatollah Sistani’s representative Sheikh Abdul Mahdi Karbalai said in a Friday sermon on his behalf in the holy city of Karbala that the Iraqis, who will vote in the May 12 polls, should not re-elect candidates from among parliamentarians and officials who have proved to be “corrupt and failing.”

Grand Ayatollah Sistani further noted that participation in the forthcoming elections is the right of every Iraqi citizen who meets the legal requirements.

“The Iraqi religious leadership states that it stands at distance from all candidates and electoral lists in a sense that it means it does not support any particular person or list,” he concluded.

Date
2018.05.07 / 19:28
Author
Axar.az
See also

Israel deports all foreign Sumud flotilla activists

Iran, US move closer to potential ceasefire deal

Lukashenko, Putin observe joint nuclear forces exercise

NATO chief reaffirms security commitment to Latvia

Turkish court suspends CHP leadership in major ruling

Syria to attend G7 summit in France as guest nation

UK summons Israeli chargé d’affaires over detainee video

Ukraine unveils Begemot strike UAV - Photo

WUF13 roundtable focuses on civil society and housing

Ukrainian army losses updated on 1,548th day of war

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla