UP

Afghan army offensive kills dozens of militants

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Afghan army offensive kills dozens of militants

The Afghan military on Thursday claimed to have killed 76 militants in a major counterterrorism drive across the country during the past 24 hours.

According to the country’s Interior Ministry, up to 43 Taliban militants were killed during air raids conducted in the restive Helmand province's Marja district.

The ministry also said a large cache of arms and ammunition had been destroyed in the raid. No further details were released.

Meanwhile, in a security briefing the Ministry of Defense said up to 33 militants, including five pro-Daesh fighters, were killed in different counterterrorism offensives across the country.

These ground and air operations were carried out across 14 different provinces.

A day earlier, a breakaway faction of the Taliban led by Mullah Rasul was hit by a suicide car bombing, leaving up to eight people dead.

A similar, retaliatory attack against the main Taliban organization also inflicted casualties.

Mohammad Umar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor, told Anadolu Agency the twin-suicide bombings took place in the Greshk district where the Taliban has a strong presence.

Date
2017.06.15 / 16:18
Author
Axar.az
See also

U.S. Marines board Iranian-flagged tanker in Gulf of Oman

Russia to restrict flower imports from Armenia

Bulgarian president visits Sumgayit Industrial Park

Erdogan and Trump hold talks on regional issues

France summons Israeli envoy over flotilla incident

Italy summons Israeli ambassador over flotilla treatment

US unseals charges against Raul Castro

Shoigu says Armenia took unfriendly steps toward Russia

Iran vows strong response to any new aggression

Kupiansk remains under Ukrainian control

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla