UP

Germany: We will remain committed to nuclear deal

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Germany: We will remain committed to nuclear deal

Chancellor Angela Merkel stressed on Wednesday that Germany, France and Britain will remain committed to the nuclear deal with Iran, despite U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to pull out of the agreement.

Axar.az reports citing AP.

Speaking at an event of her Christian Democrats in Berlin, Merkel voiced regret over Trump’s decision, but said they were determined to preserve the agreement.

“We will continue with our commitment to this agreement and make every effort to ensure that Iran will also fulfill its commitments in future,” she said.

Merkel underlined that so far Iran has lived up to its commitments, according to the reports of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Trump on Tuesday claimed that Iran had lied about its nuclear program and pulled the U.S. out of the landmark deal that world powers struck in 2015 with Iran.

The U.S. president also accused Tehran for destabilizing the region with “sinister activities” in Syria, Yemen, and other places all around the world.

Merkel acknowledged international concerns over Iran’s influence in Syria, Iraq and Yemen, and its ballistic missile program, but underlined that these issues should be discussed with Tehran, without abandoning the nuclear deal.

In July 2015, P5+1 group of countries -- the U.S., the U.K., France, China, Russia and Germany -- signed with Iran the nuclear deal, also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

World powers agreed to lift some of the economic sanctions imposed on Iran in return for the latter agreeing to limit its nuclear activity to peaceful and civilian purposes.

Date
2018.05.09 / 19:20
Author
Axar.az
See also

Trump to deliver State of the Union address on Feb 24

Zuckerberg testifies in landmark social media trial

Israeli military enters Saysun and Masartiya in Syria

Merz rules out Germany acquiring nuclear weapons

Technical framework set for Ukraine ceasefire

Trump administration nears major war with Iran - Axios

Zelensky failed to provide resources for 2023 counteroffensive

Okamura: Czech Republic to halt arms supplies to Kyiv

Ukrainian losses updated on day 1,456 of war

Slovakia declares oil crisis over supply disruption

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla