|Home page Politics|
The Taliban says no timeframe has been agreed for the pullout of American troops from Afghanistan despite Washington’s earlier promise to draw down half of its forces from the war-torn country.
Axar.az reports citing Press Tv that, a Taliban official on Wednesday said that the United States had promised to withdraw half of its troops from Afghanistan by the end of April, but the US says it has not set a timeframe for that.
"The Americans told us (last month) that they would withdraw half of their troops from the beginning of February to the end of April," Taliban official Abdul Salam Hanafi was quoted as saying by RIA.
A US State Department spokeswoman said Washington had "not agreed to any timeline for a possible drawdown of troops.
Hanafi said Washington and the Taliban had agreed at talks that all foreign troops would eventually leave, and that Afghanistan would never be used as a base for attacks on the United States.
"The timeline (of the withdrawal) will be discussed at future meetings," Hanafi said.
US and Taliban delegations met in Qatar in January and are due to meet again this month.
President Donald Trump said on Tuesday his administration had accelerated talks for a political settlement in Afghanistan and would be able to reduce US troops there as negotiations advanced to end America's longest war.
A US official said in December that Trump was planning to withdraw more than 5,000 of the 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan.
Taliban insists all troops must leave
Trump on Tuesday used his State of the Union address to stress the importance of accelerated talks with the Taliban to end the longest of America's "endless wars".
Trump offered no specifics about when he would bring home the 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan but said progress in negotiations with the Taliban would enable a troop reduction and a "focus on counter-terrorism".
2019.02.07 / 10:34