|Home page Politics|
Turkish Supreme Electoral Authority canceled the results of the elections held on March 31, in Istanbul. Elcetions will be repeated on June 23.
Turkish political expert Engin Ozer commented on this issue to Axar.az :
- The things that happened in Istanbul on May 6 was as exciting for us as it was to our Turkish brothers. What's happening in Istanbul?
- The election rules in Turkey a bit different. There is no such thing in Turkey as to objection to election, instead there is thing like to protest the votes that counted invalid. According to Turkish law, it is wrong to object like "the election results have not been properly calculated". You can only challenge unreliable votes. And in Istanbul, If I am not mistaken there were a very serious number, something like 198 thousand invalid votes. The Justice and Development Party objected to that.
The difference between Ekrem Imamoglu and Binali Yildirim was about 27,000. After repeat the countdown they have realized that 14.000 votes that were given for Binali Yildirim have not been counted without any reason.
It means that, 14,000 votes have been erased by the trick or in any way. Both sides accept it. And 14 thousand votes are a very serious number for re-election.
- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announces the end of the election process and says that "the election is behind, now we need Turkish alliance" and then things like these happened, how should we understand it?
- The happening of this event after Mr.President's "elections have finished" is only about the Turkey's election law and the Supreme Election Board. That is, you can appeal to the Supreme Election Board only for verification of invalid votes.
- Over the last 50 years, did the Turkey experience the abolishment of the elections in Istanbul or Ankara?
- No, we have not met such an event in recent years. But we have never encountered such close results. At the same time, so many political polarization in Turkey has not happened in recent years. Frankly speaking, both sides have a fault in what happened. Both sides use the same methods. It is likely that the CHP will boycott the elections and make it more complicated.
- Can the elimination of election results create a precedent for the elimination of elections in the future?
- Election results may have been seriously interrupted, but it will not be possible to reveal it anymore. This topic has been closed. Of course, these experiences are not good in terms of Turkey's history of democracy. Today we know exactly at least 14,000 voices were intentionally or unintentionally stolen. We also know that there is pressure from the government. The position of both sides is not wright. If after this CHP boycotts the elections, there will be a very serious tension between the citizens. At the end of this process, Ekrem İmamoğlu will be the chairman of the CHP party. Do not doubt that he will run for presidency in the upcoming elections. CHP is using systematically the sam methods that Erdogan used in 2002 things like arrests, extradition, and so on against him. It is possible that they will succeed in this direction.
2019.05.07 / 15:06