Axar.az
UP
9 April 2020


Islamic State has as much as $300 million to fight

Home page Politics
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

UN Secretary-General António Guterres says in a report that the Islamic State extremist group IS/ISIS has been left with as much as $300 million following the loss of its so-called “caliphate” in Iraq and Syria, “with none of the financial demands of controlling territory and population.”

Axar.az reports citing foreign media that the report to the Security Council on the threat posed by IS circulated Monday says the lull in attacks directed by the militant group “may be temporary.”

It said the group is believed to be capable of directing funds to support “terrorist acts” within Iraq and Syria and abroad by mainly using services such as informal money transfer businesses.

The Islamic State is also encouraging increased financial self-sufficiency throughout its network of supporters and affiliates elsewhere in the Mideast, Africa, and Asia, the report said.

Last week, UN experts wrote in another report that Daesh leaders are seeking to create conditions and consolidate power for an “eventual resurgence in its Iraqi and Syrian heartlands.” The relative stability that former Daesh-held territories are experiencing following the group’s defeat “may not last long, possibly not even until the end of 2019”, they claimed.

The Salafi jihadist militant group ISIS has been designated a terrorist organization by the United Nations and many individual countries. ISIS is widely known for its videos of beheadings and other types of executions of both soldiers and civilians, including journalists and aid workers, and its destruction of cultural heritage sites. The United Nations holds ISIS responsible for human rights abuses and war crimes. IS also committed ethnic cleansing on a historic and unprecedented scale in northern Iraq.

Date
2019.08.07 / 15:24
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

The session of the Milli Majlis began

120 countries supported Baku's position - PA official

Mnatsakanyan called to Lavrov

Azerbaijani and Iranian top diplomats held a phone call

Peskov calls for getting prepared for global economic crisis

Another organization didn't recognize "elections" in Karabakh

Keir Starmer elected new UK labour leader

Russia and Saudi Arabia have stopped the oil war - Trump

Zarif to Trump: Iran is not starting a war

OIC rejects elections in ‘occupied’ Nagorno-Karabakh

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla