Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Andy Burnham, is exploring a bid for the UK to host the men’s World Cup alongside plans for a Northern Olympics, the Independent reported.
Axar.az reports that a known football lover, the prime minister’s bid would form part of his push to use major sporting events to drive investment, tourism and regeneration beyond the capital.
It would bring the World Cup back to the UK for the first time since England hosted in 1966, when the Three Lions last won the tournament.
The newspaper reported that Mr Burnham told colleagues on Friday morning at No 10 North that he was in talks with the nation’s footballing bodies about how a campaign could be delivered to host the tournament.
The Independent reported last month that a bid to host the 2038 or 2042 tournament was under consideration by the FA, with open talk of this in UEFA circles.
A government spokesperson said: "The UK is committed to delivering world-class major sporting events with pride, with the Tour de France and Tour de France Femmes Grands Departs 2027 and UEFA EURO 2028 secured, and active bids for the 2029 World Athletics Championships and 2035 Women’s World Cup.
"As the prime minister has made clear, we will continue to pursue sporting events that bring communities together, drive regional growth and create jobs across the country."
The next available World Cup is in 2038, followed by tournaments in 2042 and 2046, but FIFA has not yet begun the process to decide the host nations.
Mr Burnham is also hoping to bring the Olympics to northern England in an effort to bring more revenue to other regions of the country outside the capital.