UP

Rubio offers Cubans 'new path' as U.S. indicts Raul Castro

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Rubio offers Cubans 'new path' as U.S. indicts Raul Castro

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke Wednesday directly to the Cuban people in a video recorded in Spanish, criticizing the country's elite for being corrupt and offering a "new path," including a proposed $100 million influx of food and medicine.

Axar.az reports, citing CBS, that the message came as former President Raul Castro and five others were indicted by a U.S. grand jury in Florida, according to court filings.

Rubio, the son of Cuban parents who immigrated to Florida two years before Fidel Castro rose to power, targeted the Grupo de Administración Empresarial S.A., or GAESA, a politically-connected Cuban business organization that Rubio alleges has $18 billion in assets and control 70% of the economy.

"They profit from hotels, construction, banks, stores and even from the money your relatives send you from the U.S. everything, everything passes through their hands," Rubio said, translated from Spanish. "From those remittances they retain a percentage, but from GAESA's profits nothing reaches you."

Cuba is currently dealing with a massive blackout affecting most of the country as an already shaky power grid crashed due to the U.S. blocking oil from entering the country since January.

"The reason you are forced to survive 22 hours a day without electricity is not due to an oil 'blockade' by the U.S. As you know, better than anyone, you have been suffering from blackouts for years. The real reason you don't have electricity, fuel, or food is because those who control your country have plundered billions of dollars, but nothing has been used to help the people," Rubio said.

Rubio said the offer of $100 million in relief supplies, one the U.S. has made previously, must be distributed to the Cuban people through the Catholic Church or other charitable groups in order to avoid it being "stolen by GAESA to sell in one of their stores."

"President Trump is offering a new relationship between the U.S. and Cuba," Rubio said in the video. "But it must be directly with you, the Cuban people, not with GAESA.

Date
2026.05.21 / 17:16
Author
Axar.az
See also

Denmark to carry out post-mortem on humpback whale Timmy

Gaza flotilla activists flown to Turkiye from Israel

Russia ready to protect its citizens in Transnistria

Iran reviewing latest US response on nuclear talks

Meloni pushes to revive nuclear power in Italy

Armenia understands EU and EAEU membership incompatibility

Pakistan army chief Asim Munir to visit Tehran

Iran executes two political prisoners

British couple on new hunger strike in Iranian jail

Flood triggers mass evacuation in Turkiye

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla