UP

NATO chief apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart'

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
NATO chief apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart'

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has issued an apology over a chart listing President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the Turkish Republic's founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturkas "enemies" during a NATO drill exercise in Norway.

Axar.az reports citing Daily Sabah that Stoltenberg said in the statement that the incident which happened during a recently concluded exercise at NATO's Joint Warfare Center in Stavanger was "the result of an individual's actions and did not reflect the NATO's views."

The statement said the individual, a civilian contractor seconded by Norway, was removed immediately from the exercise and it was Norway's decision to apply any disciplinary action on the individual.

Earlier on Friday, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that Turkey has withdrawn its 40 troops from a planned NATO drill after his name and the picture of Turkish Republic's founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk were used in an "enemy chart" during the drill.

Following Erdogan's remarks, NATO said that two separate incidents occurred with regard to Erdogan and Atatürk.

Initially, a technician used a picture of Ataturkhe found online to represent enemy ranks. After Turkish officers confirmed the incident, the technician was dismissed from duty.

Another incident involved a Norwegian officer of Turkish origin, who opened a fake Erdogan account on NATO's internal social media network and posted anti-alliance comments in the name of the president. After confirming the incident with Turkish officers at naval forces command, the officer responsible for the incident was also dismissed.

The Turkish Armed Forces announced later on Friday that both a verbal and a written apology was received regarding the incidents, confirming that two NATO personnel were dismissed.

Date
2017.11.17 / 20:59
Author
Axar.az
See also

Von der Lyen: Russia targeting civilians as it loses war

Germany opens helpline for Russia, China, and Iran exiles

Pashinyan: New Armenian program drops Karabakh ideology

Kyiv considers moving parliament to safer location

Hegseth ‘hid’ Iranian attack on key US base

15 killed, 39 injured in Russian attack on Kyiv - Video

Ukraine strikes TANECO refinery and oil terminal

Syria says Israel backed away from commitments

Armenia’s ruling party plans to remove Garegin II

Crimea’s Yevpatoria hit by complete blackout

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla