|Home page Interview|
Axar.az represent an interview with Mark Eliyahu, famous Israeli composer and kamancha performer:
– Dear Mark Eliyahu, if I ask you to describe your music within three words, which three words they will be?
– Soul, love, peace.
– We always heard that creative people like to spend their time alone, in their music studio, or as they said, in their own world. Is it also correct for Mark Eliyahu?
– That’s correct, my time alone with myself is very important, and that's where the creation comes from, but the inspiration comes from the life itself, from the human meetings.
– Many people in Azerbaijan love and listen to your music. For the first time, most people recognize them as Azeri music. What do you think about it?
– It is a big honor for me, and exciting to hear that, because Azerbaijan is the place where I learned, and the Azeri music is my school.
– I read that you specialize in Azerbaijan of Kamanche and Persian-Azeri music studies with master Adalat Vazirov by 2 years. You also had some solo with famous Azeri vocalist Alim Qasimov. I want to kindly ask you to describe your sincere thoughts about Azeri. Could you please talk about your Azeri music educations and you did with Azeri musicians.
– My meeting with Azeri music started at my childhood. My father- Piris Eliyahu plays Tar, and the mugham was heard in our house. Also, my father hosted Azeri musicians such as Habil Aliyev, Alim Gasimov and others. When I was 17 I fell in love with the kamancha, and my father's friend- MR. Nazim Abdulayev connected me to my great teacher- Adalet Vazirov that took me to his house and taught me the mugham, and how to play a kamancha. Adalet will always stay in my heart. When I came back from my studies, I started performing, and through the years I hosted some Azeri musicians in my shows.
– You perform a musical instrument, - kamancha. Have you ever thought to add vocals to your compositions in one day?
– For sure yes. There is a surprise waiting for the Azeri people.
– Would you like to see your music as a soundtrack of a film? If, yes. What kind of movie do you want it to be and which song would you like to see?
– I wrote music for some movies and even won an Oscar award for one of them in Israel. It is very interesting to make music for films because my music is very storytelling, but I prefer making music without any boundaries or needs.
– Were you surprised when you see so much interest in Azerbaijan and also including all over the world?
– This is totally amazing and exciting. I have the best fans in the world.
– What does the kamancha mean to you?
– It is the love of my life. I don’t know what I would do without it.
– What inspires you? From whom do you take your inspiration?
– Nature, love, desire.
– Who do you listen to nowadays?
– I just came back from a tour in Africa, and I am listening to a lot of African music now.
– With your music, you prove that music has no limitations and no barriers even without any words it can catch people’s hearts from different countries and cultures. How do you estimate your own music in the world?
– I feel me as a human composed out of a lot of cultures, and I was influenced by a lot of musical genres. It is very exciting to hear that a lot of people all around the world feel what I feel.
– What do you intend to give people with your music?
– A connection to their soul, to their heart, and to deep feelings and deep happiness.
– Which projects does Mark Eliyahu currently work on?
– A new show that is launching the end of January, and new music that will be released in my next album.
– Are you planning to give concerts in Azerbaijan in the future?
– I am really looking forward to it and hoping it will happen very soon. Wait for good news.
– Thank you very much for the interview. Finally, what would you like to say to your fans in Azerbaijan?
– I love you and waiting to meet all of you!
2019.01.08 / 11:11