Axar.az
UP

82 Chibok girls released from Boko Haram

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Boko Haram militants have released 82 schoolgirls out of a group of more than 200 who they kidnapped from the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014, officials said on Saturday.

Axar.az reports citing to Dailysabah the girls were released through negotiations with the government, one official said, asking not to be named.

A military source said the girls were currently in Banki near the Cameroon border for medical checks before being airlifted to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.

The kidnapping was one of the high-profile incidents of Boko Haram's insurgency, now in its eighth year and with little sign of ending. About 220 were abducted from their school in a night-time attack.

More than 20 girls were released last October in a deal brokered by the International Committee of the Red Cross. Others have escaped or been rescued, but 195 were believed to be still in captivity prior to this release.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said last month the government was in talks to secure the release of the remaining captives.

Date
2017.05.07 / 09:38
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Vaccine announcement from Erdogan

Mikhail Mishustin called Pashinyan

Quarantine rules have been tightened in Turkey

Don't delay vaccination - Trump

S-400 statement from the United States

Moderna Covid vaccine has 94% efficac

Ankara and Athens must find acceptable ways - NATO

Armenia PM visit to Russia is cancelled

Nuclear scientist killed by remote-controlled machine gun

Armenian president seeks Putin's help

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla