UP

Turkey slams Pompeo over Hagia Sophia remarks

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Turkey slams Pompeo over Hagia Sophia remarks

Turkey on Wednesday criticized US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s remarks on the country’s iconic Hagia Sophia.

Axar.az reports citing foreign media that in a statement, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said: “We are shocked at the statement made by the US State Department on Hagia Sophia.”

“Hagia Sophia, situated on our land is the property of Turkey, like all our cultural assets,” it said.

Any issue regarding Hagia Sophia is “our internal affair as part of Turkey's sovereign rights,” the statement added.

Earlier on Wednesday, Pompeo said in a statement that the museum status should be maintained "as an exemplar of [Turkey's] commitment to respect the faith traditions and diverse history that contributed to the Republic of Turkey, and to ensure it remains accessible to all."

Date
2020.07.02 / 11:32
Author
Axar.az
See also

EU condemns new US sanctions against ICC officials

Four Americans among seven killed in Kenya helicopter crash

Four Hamas commanders eliminated in Al-Shati

Trump plans to meet Kim Jong Un at end of year

Egypt in contact with Iran to de-escalate tensions

Tokayev removes Nazarbayev’s special foreign policy right

Russian strikes Zhytomyr police headquarters kills two

Kim Yo Jong warns Japan of devastating strike

European gas prices hit highest level since March

Ukrainian army losses updated on 1,638th day of war

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla