UP

US revoked World Cup ticket allocation for Iranian supporters

Home page Sports
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
US revoked World Cup ticket allocation for Iranian supporters

Iran’s soccer federation said Tuesday its ticket allocation had been pulled just days before the World Cup starts, leaving supporters who had already made travel plans unable to attend their team’s matches.

Axar.az informs, citing NBC news, the World Cup begins Thursday, with Iran playing its first two Group G games in Los Angeles, against New Zealand on June 15 and Belgium on June 21, and then facing Egypt in Seattle on June 26.

In a statement, the Iranian federation said it had already begun the ticket sales process for the matches but could no longer provide them to fans.

“This is despite the fact that many Iranian football fans, relying on the officially announced process, had already made the necessary plans to attend the matches,” the FFIRI added in a statement.

“Depriving Iranian supporters of access to their lawful and official allocation of tickets is an action contrary to the spirit governing international competitions and the principle of equality among participating countries.

“This development raises serious questions about the interference of non-sporting and political considerations in the organization of the world’s biggest football event.”

Each participating federation at the World Cup receives 8% of the tickets for each of their matches to be allocated to fans according to their own criteria.

The FFIRI did not say who had made the decision to withhold the tickets but urged FIFA, soccer’s governing body, to adhere to “the principles of neutrality, fairness, and established regulations” and called on it to prevent off-field issues from casting a shadow over the tournament.

Date
2026.06.09 / 17:54
Author
Axar.az
See also

U20 World Wrestling Championships begin in Bratislava

Ronaldo expects to retire from football this year

Sabah beat Kapaz 2-0 in Premier League opener

Atletico Madrid sign Cristian Romero from Tottenham

Bezos-backed consortium buys a third of Liverpool

Ilham Zakiyev becomes European champion for 10th time

PSG officially announce signing of Ferran Torres

Abdellah Zoubir leaves Qarabag for Al-Shahania

Galatasaray held to 2-2 draw by Corum in Super Lig opener

Neftchi part ways with Imad Faraj

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla