UP

Iraqi army fully takes over key base following US withdrawal

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Iraqi army fully takes over key base following US withdrawal

U.S. forces have fully withdrawn from an air base in western Iraq in implementation of an agreement with the Iraqi government, Iraqi officials said Saturday.

Axar.az, citing AP, reports that Washington and Baghdad agreed in 2024 to wind down a U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group in Iraq by September 2025, with U.S. forces departing bases where they had been stationed.

However, a small unit of U.S. military advisers and support personnel remained. Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, in October, told journalists that the agreement originally stipulated a full pullout of U.S. forces from the Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq by September. But “developments in Syria” since then required maintaining a “small unit” of between 250 and 350 advisers and security personnel at the base.

Now all U.S. personnel have departed.

Iraqi Army Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Abdul Amir Rashid Yarallah oversaw the assignment of tasks and duties to various military units at the base on Saturday, following the withdrawal of U.S. forces and the Iraqi Army’s full assumption of control over the base, the military said in a statement.

Date
2026.01.18 / 15:38
Author
Axar.az
See also

Israel deports all foreign Sumud flotilla activists

Iran, US move closer to potential ceasefire deal

Lukashenko, Putin observe joint nuclear forces exercise

NATO chief reaffirms security commitment to Latvia

Turkish court suspends CHP leadership in major ruling

Syria to attend G7 summit in France as guest nation

UK summons Israeli chargé d’affaires over detainee video

Ukraine unveils Begemot strike UAV - Photo

WUF13 roundtable focuses on civil society and housing

Ukrainian army losses updated on 1,548th day of war

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla