UP

Riyadh releases 7 detained in 'anti-corruption' sweep

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Riyadh releases 7 detained in 'anti-corruption' sweep

Saudi Arabia on Thursday released seven of 208 suspects arrested earlier in an ongoing “anti-corruption” probe, the country’s top legal official said.

Axar.az reports citing AA that in a statement, Attorney-General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb said a total of 208 suspects had been questioned so far.

"Seven of them have been released without charge," al-Mojeb said, going on to estimate that "systematic corruption and embezzlement" had cost the country at least $100 billion in recent decades.

"Based on our investigations over the past three years, we estimate that at least $100 billion has been misused through systematic corruption and embezzlement over several decades," the attorney-general said in the statement.

As for speculation about the suspects’ identities, al-Mojeb said their privacy would be respected “as they continue to be subject to our judicial process”.

Last week, Saudi authorities detained 11 princes, four sitting cabinet members and a dozen former government ministers in what was described as a massive “anti-corruption” sweep.

On Tuesday, the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority said the bank accounts of suspects detained in the probe had been frozen.

Date
2017.11.09 / 22:19
Author
Axar.az
See also

Trump to deliver State of the Union address on Feb 24

Zuckerberg testifies in landmark social media trial

Israeli military enters Saysun and Masartiya in Syria

Merz rules out Germany acquiring nuclear weapons

Technical framework set for Ukraine ceasefire

Trump administration nears major war with Iran - Axios

Zelensky failed to provide resources for 2023 counteroffensive

Okamura: Czech Republic to halt arms supplies to Kyiv

Ukrainian losses updated on day 1,456 of war

Slovakia declares oil crisis over supply disruption

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla