UP

Lebanon and Israel to discuss in Rome

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Lebanon and Israel to discuss in Rome

A US military delegation will land in Beirut in the coming days to determine how carry out the pilot program involving the handover of territory from the IDF to the Lebanese Armed Forces, US Ambassador to Lebanon Michel Issa told Lebanese President Joseph Aoun,​ told AFP Wednesday.

Axar.az reports via the Times of Israel, according to the Lebanese readout, "preparations are underway to implement what was agreed upon with respect to the pilot areas," and "it is essential to avoid any vacuum upon the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the designated area, and based on the outcomes of the coordination meetings, the timeline for on-the-ground implementation will be determined."

A Lebanese diplomatic source told AFP yesterday that Lebanon is demanding that Israel fulfill its pledge to withdraw from two "pilot zones" in the nation's south and hand them over to the Lebanese military before it agrees to participate in next week's talks in Rome.

Issa told Aoun that the next round of talks was moved to Rome "due solely to technical reasons related to facilitating the travel of ambassadors and delegation members," and that working groups with specialists will be formed in order to implement the three-way agreement signed in Washington last month.

Issa also told Aoun that the Lebanese president's upcoming visit to Washington "reflects the extent of attention that President Trump accords to Lebanon and his efforts to achieve security and stability there and end the suffering of its people."

According to his office, Aoun stressed the importance of pressuring Israel to stop its military operations.

Date
2026.07.10 / 09:54
Author
Axar.az
See also

4.2-magnitude earthquake hits Kyrgyzstan

Former Israeli PM condemns Netanyahu’s Turkiye strategy

Hemmati: Iran’s oil exports effectively halted

Turkish troops set to deploy at Syrian airbase

Kyiv declares 21 August day of mourning

More than 100 dead after goldmine collapses in Africa - Video

Truck hits Armenian soldiers, killing one and injuring six

Israel warns Turkiye against military expansion in Syria

US military quietly facilitates oil shipments through Hormuz

Trump warns of 'very draconian sanctions' against Iran

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla