UP

58 killed in attack on police cadet hostel

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
58 killed in attack on police cadet hostel

A team of up to six gunmen killed at least 58 people using firearms and suicide bombs at a hostel housing hundreds of police cadets in the Pakistani city of Quetta.

Terrorists from a Pakistani Taliban-linked group burst into the sprawling academy, targeting sleeping quarters that are home to some 700 recruits, sending terrified young men fleeing, said authorities and witnesses.

"I saw three men in camouflage whose faces were hidden carrying Kalashnikovs," one cadet told reporters. "They started firing and entered the dormitory but I managed to escape over a wall."

Reports quoting government officials said at least 58 people including cadets had been killed and more than 100 people wounded in the attack on Monday night.

The army’s public relations department said five or six militants attacked the police training centre on Saryab Road in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan, a troubled province home to a separatist insurgency and numerous Islamist groups. Soldiers and members of the Frontier Constabulary, a paramilitary force, responded to the attack, the army said.

The Baluchistan home minister, Sarfaraz Bugti, said on Tuesday morning that security forces had completed their operation but were still engaged in the cleanup process.

Bugti said that at the time of attack about 700 trainees had been at the base and more than 200 were rescued immediately afterwards.

Major General Sher Afgan, chief of the paramilitary Frontier Corps, said the attackers appeared to have been in contact with handlers in Afghanistan and suggested they belonged to the banned Lashker-e-Jhangvi, an Islamic militant group affiliated with al-Qaida.

Afgan said the attackers may have had inside help, although he did not give details. "This is an open war and when you have enemy inside and outside, they can easily exploit the situation," he said. Security forces and police were clearing the area and searching for any possible hidden attackers.

Many of the trainees were killed when the gunmen detonated explosive vests, Afgan said. One of the police trainees told Geo television: "They were rushing toward our building firing shots so we rushed for safety toward the roof and jumped down in the back to save our lives."

Zarak Khan, a rescue worker from the Edhi foundation, said rescuers initially collected the wounded among security personnel as they fought their way into the compound. The 14km distance between the hostel and the Quetta hospital hampered the rescue effort.

Most of those being treated at city hospitals had gunshot wounds, although some sustained injuries jumping off the roof of the hostel and climbing a wall to escape the gunmen. Nearly all of the wounded were police; two were paramilitary troops, authorities said.

The Dawn newspaper website reported exchanges of fire between security forces and attackers, with explosions heard around the area. Some local media outlets also ran unconfirmed reports that hostages had been taken.

Mobile phone services in the Saryab area shut down shortly after the attack began.

Date
2016.10.25 / 09:59
Author
Valeh Mammadli
See also

Bessen: Major US military actions against Iran unlikely

Death toll in Zimbabwe ferry accident rises to 97

US approves possible $4.5B sale of KC-46A tankers to Qatar

Seven countries condemn Israel’s E1 settlement plan

Iran condemns new US sanctions as economic terrorism

Drone debris sparks fire at Kyiv business center

47 killed in boat capsizing in northwestern Nigeria

Moscow awaits US, Turkiye response on Ukraine arms

Houthis claim attacks on Najran airport, Aramco facility

Extreme heat kills more than 4,400 people in Spain

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla