Axar.az
UP

Thousands flee W. Mosul amid humanitarian crisis

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Thousands of Iraqi civilians have fled western Mosul over the past 24 hours amid an ongoing army offensive aimed at driving Daesh militants from the city, according to an Iraqi humanitarian aid official.

“More than 6,000 civilians have been displaced from their homes in western Mosul within the past 24 hours,” Iyad Rafed of the Iraqi Red Crescent Society told.

He said the civilian exodus remained ongoing amid a fresh push by Iraqi forces to penetrate Mosul’s western districts.

“We are facing difficulties in providing relief to displaced persons until they are transferred to nearby refugee camps,” Rafed said.

In mid-February, Iraqi forces -- backed by a U.S.-led air coalition -- began fresh operations aimed at expelling Daesh terrorists from western Mosul.

The offensive comes as part of a wider campaign launched last October to retake the entire city, which Daesh overran -- along with much of northern and western Iraq -- in mid-2014.

Last week, the Iraqi authorities opened the Hammam al-Alil displacement camp -- able to accommodate up to 4,000 families -- in southeastern Mosul.

“But the camp’s services are very poor,” Jawad al-Shammari, a spokesman for Iraq’s Human Rights Commission, said in a statement, citing a scarcity of food and potable water in particular.

“Health services at the camp are unable to cope with the mounting number of refugees,” he lamented.

On Sunday, Iraqi authorities said preparations had been completed to accommodate the roughly 100,000 civilians expected to flee western Mosul in coming days.

Date
2017.03.07 / 13:36
Author
Axar.az
Comments
Memorial Zefer
See also

The Russians captured another city

Terror in an African country: 50 people were killed

Canada has trained Ukrainian servicemen for 7 years

It will be difficult for them to strengthen their positions

Lithuanians raise money for Bayragdar

Russia expels 5 Croatian diplomats

Cavushoghlu signed a memorandum

The mayor of Paris is visiting Yerevan

70 bodies were exhumed from the rubble in Mariupol

Netflix has blocked access from Russia

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla