|Home page World|
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Monday (June 26) accused the U.S.-led coalition of avoiding strikes on positions of the renamed Jabhat al-Nusra, or Nusra Front, inside Syria.
Axar.az reports citing NRT.
The group, which was renamed as Jabhat Fatah al Sham (JFS) is one of Syria's most powerful rebel forces, and under its former name - Nusra Front - was designated as a terrorist group because of links with al Qaeda.
Earlier this year several Syrian Islamist factions including JFS said they were joining forces, as clashes between jihadists and more moderate rebels raged on in northwestern areas. An online statement issued by the Islamist factions announced the formation of the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (Liberation of the Levant Committee). Other signatories in the grouping included the Nour al-Din al-Zinki group, Liwa al-Haqq, Jaish al-Sunna and Jabhat Ansar al-Din.
"We still see double standards. I have already said that we have the full impression, based on the experience of fighting terrorism in Syria, that the so-called Jabhat al-Nusra, or whatever it is called now, is always spared by the U.S.-led coalition forces and other states which cooperate with it," Lavrov told a news conference.
"In recent days new evidence has emerged that Jabhat al-Nusra in its new incarnation is being dropped from the target list. We consider this an extremely dangerous game that must be stopped," he added.
2017.06.26 / 20:14