Axar.az
UP
19 March 2019


Mortar attacks injure 6 in Iraqi Turkmen city

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Six people were injured in mortar attacks Monday in the Turkmen-majority city of Tuz Khurmatu in northern Iraq, according to a local lawmaker.

Axar.az informs that speaking to Anadolu Agency, Ali Huseyni said rounds of shells struck several districts in the city.

"There was no loss of life, but there was major damage to houses," Huseyni said.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Tuz Khurmatu is a predominantly Turkmen city in the northern Saladin province that was retaken by Iraqi forces in October following the withdrawal of Kurdish Peshmerga forces amid tension over a controversial referendum on Kurdish regional independence. The city had experienced similar mortar attacks last year.

Huseyni called on the Iraqi central government to launch a security operation in the area to prevent similar attacks.

"The presence of some separatist armed groups in the south-east of the province poses a threat to civilian population," he warned.

Last month, two children were killed and seven people injured in a mortar attack in the city.

Date
2018.01.08 / 17:14
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Jordanian FM, French envoy for Syria hold talks

UK cabinet row over PM's Brexit

North Korea must drop nuclear, achieve progress

Turkey condoles loss of lives in cyclone-hit Mozambique

France's Minister 'names cat Brexit because he is reluctant to leave'

Kazakhstan’s President Nazarbayev resigns - Breaking

Israel denies Tehran hacked phones of Netanyahu's family

England to pay tribute to New Zealand victims

Erdogan to NZ terrorist: You will pay for this

Economic advisor to Obama and Clinton commits suicide

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla