UP

WHO chief says confident U.S. funding will continue

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
WHO chief says confident U.S. funding will continue

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) voiced confidence on Monday that the United States would continue funding his U.N. agency, despite President Donald Trump’s criticism of WHO’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Axar.az reports citing foreign media.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week that the Trump administration was re-evaluating U.S. funding to the body, saying international organisations utilising U.S. taxpayer money needed to deliver on their goals.

The United States is the biggest overall donor to the Geneva-based WHO, contributing more than $400 million in 2019, roughly 15% of its budget.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, asked by a U.S.-based journalist about reports that Trump might “cut off” funding this week, said he had spoken with him two weeks ago.

“What I know is that he is supportive and I hope that the funding to WHO will continue. The relationship we have is very good and we hope that this will continue,” Tedros said.

Date
2020.04.14 / 09:18
Author
Axar.az
See also

Armed man killed after breaching Mar-a-Lago security

Woman arrested after deadly attack in western Ukraine

Russia will defend its national interests despite critics

Netanyahu says Modi's visit strengthens regional alliance

Russian army captures Novyi Donbas

Hungary threatened to block EU sanctions on Russia

Moscow airports temporarily closed amid drone threat

Ukrainian army losses updated

Flights at Kaluga Airport have been restricted

Trump announces hospital ship for Greenland

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla